Feedback has been good for the "guest post" format, so I will let him do the talking for the rest of the fruits of the spirit. I hope you are learning something and enjoying the study format.
Until Next Time.....
Fruit of the Spirit is Goodness
By Dr. Richard J. Krejcir
Is the Character of Goodness working in you?
Here is how you can find out. Take a careful look at this Fruit of Goodness from God's most precious Word by examining the passages below. Now ask yourself:
- How do I exhibit Goodness in my daily life?
- What can I do to develop a better attitude of Goodness?
- What blocks goodness from working and being exhibited in me?
- How can I make Goodness function better, stronger and faster even in times of uncertainly and stress?
Goodness (Amos 5:15; Prov. 25:22; Matthew 7:12; 19:16; Luke 6:27, 35; Rom. 12:17; II Cor. 5:20; Eph. 5:8-9; I Pet. 3:11; II Pet. 1:3-8) is the engagement of love! It displays integrity, honesty and compassion to others and allows us to do the right thing. Goodness takes our virtue and excellence and models it to others in the action of love. It is doing the right thing even when it does not feel like we should, as Joseph was betrayed and sold as a slave, he chose to make his situation good and help and treat others better than he needed too. Goodness is the model for people to repent and accept Christ.
Badness, cruelty, ruthlessness, depravity, debauchery and evil are the opposites. It is being mercilessness and unscrupulousness in our dealings toward others! When we fight against each other especially in the church, you have to see it as how hurtful and even pathetic it is in God's eyes!
· Here are positive examples from Scripture (Gen. 39; Luke 10:30-37; Acts 7:60; 9:36; Luke 23:34; Gal. 6:10; II Thess. 1:11)
· Here is are negative examples from Scripture (Gen. 4:8; Duet. 25:17-19; Joshua 7; Luke 9:54)Further Questions
1. How would you define Goodness?
2. What are the things that cause you to act bad or ruthless?
3. How does ruthlessness counteract Goodness?
4. How can you make Eph. 5:8-9 work in you, even through times of waiting and confusion, even when people are rude and evil to you?
5. When have you been filled with Goodness the most?
6. In what situation did you fail to have Goodness in which you should have?
7. What issue is in your life that would improve with more Goodness?
8. Think through the steps you need to take to put Goodness into action in a specific instance. Such as learning to be good to people who are rude to you or not letting your circumstances get in the way of the way you treat others?
Goodness is the fruit that virtue and the rest of characters combine to produce endearment. It is the character that makes people liked and even lovable by others. It is what is attractive and luring, that catches people's attention and respect. This is the quintessential element that attracts people to you and finds and keeps friends. It builds marriages and shows God's love to others around us. It is virtue in action; it is being a role model and putting into practice excellence in all that we do to God and others. Goodness enables us to be liked and enjoyed, even if an enemy comes against us (Prov. 25:22). It is the taste of what is to come, the flavor of how we are to be (Psalm 34:8; 119:103). It is our expression of worship and gratitude to Christ played out in our lives, so we can enjoy Him and He can enjoy us, and so that life can be more enjoyable for all.
Why are we to be good? Because God is good to us (Psalm 86:5; 145:4-13)! Because God has defeated evil, so why would any rational person seek failure unless they are deluded as Satan is (Matt. 5:43-48; 25:41; John 12:31; 16:9-11; Col. 2:15; Rev. 20:1-3)! Because we are to serve a God of love and in so doing we are to love (1 Pet. 2:1-3; 1 John 4:7-21)! Goodness is the application of love, whereas pride is the love, the only love we have and use and it is for only ourselves (Prov. 16:18; 29:23)! Being good will help us be patient, kind, understanding and forgiving to others. It will be the fruit that helps us build each other up, build His Church, reach His community and restore relationships and seek the best in all we do. It is excellence in action! It is what builds great societies and its absence causes those same societies to collapse in debauchery!
Remember; the fruits and character cost dearly, they are not cheap by and from the One who bought them for us, for our betterment and for His glory. We must not take for granted what Cost Him so much!
© 2002 R.J. Krejcir Into Thy Word Ministries http://www.intothyword.com/
"It is that particular Wise and good God, who is the author and owner of our system, that I propose for the object of my praise and adoration. He is not above caring for us, being pleased with our praise and offended when we slight Him or neglect his Glory . I love Him therefore for his goodness, and I adore Him for his wisdom. Let me then not fail to praise my God continually, for it is His due, and it is all I can return for His many favors and great goodness to me." Benjamin Franklin