Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Proverbs 31 Wife - Week Thirty Six





Question #36:  What do you think about Sara's statement, "We reflect Jesus in the small things so our families can see Him in the bigger things."?  Is this hard to do?  Why or why not?

This question is based on the story of Sara and dog poo.  I'll just leave that for ya!  If you haven't got the book, you will now, wontcha?!

Let me preface the start of my answer by saying that I do not think I am a great person and you all should follow my example!  But doing little things just seems to come second nature to me most of the time.  I don't really think about it, I just do it.  I'm not even completely aware unless someone says something to me.  I'll chase down grocery carts in the parking lot, I'll pull product forward on the shelf instead of leaving a hole, I'll hang something back up that fell off a hanger at the store, or rearrange a pile of folded shirts on display that someone else treated like a yard sale.  At physical therapy, I have even cleaned the bottom of the table that has a lot of dust because obviously they don't have time and it will only take me a second.  Some people appreciate it and some people call me a control or neat freak.  Think whatever you like, I'm just trying to make my little part of the world a better place.

Now for the second part, sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees!  Especially at a gathering, I will suddenly notice that I'm enjoying the conversation but I am the only woman in the living room.  All the other girls are in the kitchen cleaning up.  Ooops!  I have found out the hard way that this can seriously offend females.  And while I'm usually the first one to notice a mess and what needs to be cleaned up, sometimes I don't pick up on helping someone out like this. But at the same time I'm torn.  I am really into this conversation and there are ten of them in the kitchen.  They don't really need my help, and they are talking about the latest fashions.  I'd rather clean up dog poo!

But I digress.  Not having children I never thought about purposely doing something small to reflect Jesus.  But evidently I have anyway.  My husband said something to me before about how I'm always doing these little things and not looking to be rewarded (his words, not mine).  He is usually completely oblivious to anything like this, even when someone drops a hint I have to point it out to him.  But he actually said he wanted to be more like me!  I was shocked.  And to his credit, he has done a lot of little things himself in the past couple years.

Is it hard to do?  When there is something I REALLY don't want to do, but it's in line with what I would normally do anyway, then yes, it's very hard.  For example, If I always clean up a spill I see on the floor, but this time it is extra special smelly, I really don't want to!  Or if my time is short while walking the dog, but I see something on the other side of the road that could cause a flat tire, I start talking myself out of going over there and figuring out what to do with it.  I have to remind myself that my inaction could cost someone a lot of money!  I just have to remind myself that a small inconvenience for me could be a huge blessing to someone else.  And when you think of it that way, isn't it always worth it?

Until Next Time.....
Franny

No comments:

Post a Comment