Thursday, September 15, 2011

Baby Steps

As I have become completely overwhelmed this week with all I have to do and the short amount of time in which to do it, I realized I needed to take my own advice.....and of course share it with you!

I don't know about you, but I tend to get stressed or overwhelmed as soon as I start to even think about all I have to get done.  Sometimes this makes me want to avoid it, which only makes me feel guilty, then mad at myself for not doing it.

In reality, if I would have just broken it down into much smaller tasks, it would have seemed so much easier.  Today was a perfect example.  I have to go to a new doctor about 20 miles away through town.  You have to bring all of this stuff with you and you know you'll be filling out tons of paperwork when you get there, so you have to go early.  Then I have company tonight and I need to cook.  Yesterday was packed so no housework got done, so that means I have to do it all today.

Guess what?  I only have 2 things left on my list and I have time to blog before going to the doctor!!  How did it go from "I'll never get half of this done" to almost all?  Baby steps.  It might seem silly, but it works, I promise.

List out everything you have to do, but do it in tiny parts.  For example, don't put on your list "clean living room".  If you do, and yours is anything like mine, you'll instantly feel overwhelmed saying, pick up, dust, vacuum, but that means I need to go through that pile of mail on the end table, etc., etc. and then all you want to do is walk out of the room.

Try this list.....
coffee table
end table
vacuum furniture
dust
vacuum floor

Yes it is more items than just living room, but the sense of accomplishment you get from marking each one off is like a little cheerleader keeping you going.  And when you see it as these little parts that are easy to do, before you know it you have the whole room done and you are ready to tackle another.

Just give it a try, you'll be surprised!

Until Next Time......
Franny

No comments:

Post a Comment