Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Proverbs 31 Wife - Week Two



Discussion Question #2 : How would you describe yourself as a cook?  Are you gourmet, short-order, or fast food?  Do you love it or hate it?  What's your favorite thing to cook?  Who taught you to cook?

Well, let's see.  I don't think I'm gourmet by any means.  I don't like frou-frou food, so therefore I don't make it for anyone else.  I do make quite a few things that are mostly from scratch, it's hard to avoid a can of something here and there.  Short order?  to me that implies people sitting around the table telling me they each want a different thing.  Yeah, that ain't happening either!  Fast food? Sometimes, but not often.  So where do I fit?  Not sure what you would call me.  My recipes are mainly simple, sometimes using canned or packaged things. But I am stirring and warming them up myself!

I do love to cook, but my body doesn't always.  Standing for a long time is impossible some days.  That's where the occasional fast food comes in, though usually it's pizza.  When I'm feeling good, I love to cook.....but I hate to clean up after it!!

My favorite thing to cook is my vegetable soup.  I cut up all the veggies myself from fresh.  I do use canned tomatoes and sauce and juice, but the rest is all me.  It cooks for about 4 hours and you feel like you've really accomplished something when it's done.  And people just love it, that's probably what I like the most, that people like something I have created.  

Lucky for anyone who eats at my table, my dad taught me how to cook. (sorry, mom)  He was great at meat and vegetables.  I kinda wonder if that's why I don't do much with fruit, because he didn't.  And there were no bakers in my family.  Supposed to be a Grandma thing right? yeah, not mine.  Guess that's why I don't bake much!

With all of this in mind, this past week I tried to be  a better wife by planning meals and cooking more.   I wrote out the days of the week and what I would make each day and even planned a leftovers day so nothing would go to waste.  So how did I do?  How's 3 out of 5?  I have to say that one of those fails was not my fault.  The nature of my husband's business makes it difficult to plan meals.  He might call when I have already started and say he's in a town 2 hours away and will be there for awhile.  Not good for a meal that takes 2 hours from start to finish but you don't know when the people will be there to eat it!  Then the other fail was all me.  I didn't feel well, so I didn't cook.  We had fend for yourself. *sigh*  Well, I can't expect to turn into the Proverbs 31 wife in one week right?  RIGHT! So, I won't give up, but I won't beat myself up either.  I will continue to plan as best I can, and we'll see how it goes.  The Hubby did love what I did manage to make, so that's something, right?

Until Next Time.....
Franny   

No comments:

Post a Comment