Monday, January 16, 2012

1 Year to an Organized Life - January Week 3



Kitchen Questions
This week you can: 
  • learn how to analyze a space to see what it reveals about you
  • understand how you currently use your kitchen and how you would like to use it; these are often at odds
  • perform a speed elimination of all extraneous items
  • learn how to set up kitchen zones
  • whether your pantry is a few shelves in a cupboard or a separate area, organize your pantry so it supports your kitchen activity
  • create a shopping list and an emergency contact list
I like how Regina started the week with questions where you had to think first rather than just jump right into your kitchen.  After going through the questions, I see that there is way more I DISlike rather than like about my kitchen.  It's kind of funny, I loved my kitchen when we first moved in, but now that I'm home all the time and use it a whole lot more, there is so much I want to change.  I want a different sink, a backsplash of some sort, and a cabinet with those pull out drawer like shelves for all the small appliances so I have more counter space.  I do like the floor tile and the fact that it is bigger than any kitchen I've ever had.  Of course these things will have to wait awhile as there is no money in the budget for it right now.

As far as the rest of the weeks' activities go I kind of feel like I cheated since I already cleaned it out this past spring and created a pantry this summer.(see the post about making your own pantry)  But I did the speed elimination anyway and came up with the things in the picture above.  Got a new mixer for Christmas, couldn't tell you the last time I used the red pot, never used the tiny skillet, and those dish rags were once sage green!  So I took them straight downstairs to my future garage sale bin (more about that in another post). 

The lids to all the pots and pans?  I got a dishpan, or a small plastic tub, and put all the lids in there standing on their sides so I can flip right through them and pick out the one I want.  Saved a ton of space and could them nest the pots and pans together.

I don't know about you, but I think this is kind of fun.  I'm looking forward to next week when I get to spend even more time in the kitchen to organize it even more.  I know I already did a lot a few months ago, but there are still spots that could use some work.

So how are you doing so far?

Until Next Time.....
Franny

No comments:

Post a Comment