Sunday, April 15, 2012

1 Thing for Multiple Meals - Leftover Chicken



Whole chickens are a great deal when they are on sale.  I've gotten them within the past few months for as low as 69 cents per pound!  At one point I think I had 8 of them in the freezer!  I like to get out all of my crock pots and cook chicken all day.  My biggest crock pot can hold 2 chickens if they are small enough, so I could have 3 or 4 cooking at once.  You don't have to use a crock pot, you could put more than one in a large roasting pan and do them in the oven too.  Then I debone them after they have cooled a little.  Save the skin and bones, add some cut up vegetables and you can make your own stock while you are packaging up the chicken you just took off the bone.

I think I've told you before that we have a vacuum sealer.  Best investment ever!  Most of my recipes that call for "leftover" chicken call for 2 cups.  So I will take some of this chicken and cube it and some I will shred, then I will package it into 2 cup packets, vacuum seal them and toss them in the freezer.  For the stock, I like to use Ball brand plastic freezer jars.  They are very inexpensive and you can thaw it quickly by running warm water on the outside of the jar.  When it comes time for a quick meal or to make something to take to a sick friend, just grab one of those packets and while it is defrosting gather the other ingredients and you are ready to go!

Here are a few recipes that can use leftover chicken, and the way I do it in the crock pot and making stock.




Chicken Noodle Skillet (just cook onion first instead of chicken and onion)








Until Next Time.....
Franny




No comments:

Post a Comment