Sunday, February 19, 2012

1 Thing for Multiple Meals - Pork Loin


not promoting one brand or another, just the pic I found

Not to be confused with a tenderloin, which is much smaller (around 1-2 lbs at most) the pork loin can be quite large.  I like to get one that is about 5 pounds.  There are only two of us, but we can still get leftovers from each meal with this amount.  My personal preference is to cut it into two 2 pound roasts and then cut the last pound into pork chops.  That has me cooking three meals, but getting 6-8 out of it depending on the recipes I am using.  This is perfect for us because my husband likes to take leftovers to work and I like to have something quick to heat up while I'm working around the house.  If your family is not big into leftovers, this is perfect for a family of 4-5 depending on the appetites you are feeding.

Pork loins go on sale fairly regularly.  In my area a good deal is $1.99 a pound....if I haven't seen that price in a while, I'll get it at $2.49.  If you have a freezer, you might want to get 2-3 at that price.  We have a vacuum sealer, so we cut it up when we bring it home then freeze it in the recipe size packages.  With the vacuum sealed packages they can stay in the freezer much longer.  If you freeze the loin as a whole just remember that it will take quite a while for it to thaw out if you want to cut it.

Here are some of my favorite recipes that I use when I get a pork loin.  I hope you like them, and with the meat prep out of the way, you can whip them up a lot faster on those hectic weeknights!

Coq Au Vin with pork chop variation

Easy BBQ pork chops

Easy Pork Roast

Italian Pork Chops

Pork and Squash Stew

Pork Chop Dinner

Pork Chop Skillet

Pork Stew


Until Next Time.....
Franny

No comments:

Post a Comment